Transforming Postal services through digitization
Postal services need to remain competitive in the parcel delivery market, to enable cost efficiencies, and support new propositions while dealing with the inevitable growth in data volumes. To do so, many postal services have begun to use big data and artificial intelligence to process mail faster and more accurately.
In today’s fast-paced world, postal services need a new flexible real-time event-driven platform, which can augment the business, and drive down costs. Postal services can begin the digitization process by implementing the event processing system (EPS), a shared parcel monitoring platform designed to track parcels from pre-advice to parcel’s EOL (delivered at the doorstep). The tracking information is made available for all products, uniformly, across tracking channels.
- Integrate the core business processes (tracking, billing, event data monetization through API’s)
- Stitch systems through an events platform, to create an end-to-end business process transaction
- Create service differentiators (in-transit parcel tracking, turn-by-turn delivery updates)
- Build actionable analytics platform on top of events, enabling businesses with transactional and analytic data, which allows them to act on data as it happens
- Use operational platforms for business process intelligence and BI platforms for ‘insight queries’ that support corrective actions
Digitizing postal services span three domains:
- Collecting data and events in a homogenous way
- Applying customer preferences and transactional behaviour
- Making mail items, people, activities, and vehicles visible
- Enabling decision-making, the moment event is captured and known
- Using advanced analytics to predict and prescribe events, such as fleet and route optimization, customer retention, service failures, and fraud
- Leveraging huge data sets and applying statistical models to find and optimize efficiencies
- Recommending business teams and front-line teams on the best course of action
- Using artificial intelligence to automate and improve customer/employee interactions
- Providing standardized digital tools for the job enabling the teams to be mobile
- Simplifying the method of customer interaction to a known set of touchpoints
- Embedding data analytics in processes across the whole business and customer journeys
Lack of visibility in the parcel delivery process is a major issue faced by postal services today. Data analytics can help solve the issue. However, in order to get quality insights, they have to focus on putting a strong data structure in place. To achieve this, postal services organizations can have a short-term goal of collecting data from the parcel deliveries which will lead them to the long-term goal of analyzing this data, arriving with intelligent insights and automating predictable actions. This will reduce the pressure the postal system is facing today and improve response time leading to better customer satisfaction.
Andrew serves the Resources & Services team and applies his knowledge to spend time with companies that are at the forefront of digital disruption, focused on artificial intelligence, automation, privacy.